Lisa O'Connor, M.D.
Healthy Transition's Founding Physician & Medical Director
Dear Friends of Healthy Transitions: I have had the pleasure of Dr. Lisa O'Connor's mentorship since 2012, and it is a source of professional pride that I have modeled my medical practice after the care that Lisa has delivered to Healthy Transition's patients for over a decade. Now that Lisa's journey is taking her in new directions, and with her endorsement, I offer you my support as you continue your journey toward a life that is "healthy and happy." Please contact me at your earliest convenience to ensure continuity of your medical care. - Diane Bruessow
Dr. O'Connor was the founder of Healthy Transitions, LLC and one of the foremost experts in the field of counseling and medical care for transgender and gender diverse individuals across the lifespan. She initiated the model of transgender medical care that maintains a goal of cohesive and whole health which for each patient. We believe this can only be achieved through the appreciation of each patients' individual needs. Healthy Transitions' medical staff continues to endorse this model to this day.
When Dr. O'Connor transitioned in 2005 , she found a significant dearth of medical support available. She has not only worked towards giving that needed support through the opening of her own practice, but also through education everywhere from elementary schools to medical schools. She regularly advises health care providers and government agencies to further efforts towards education and acceptance.
Dr. O'Connor's personal and open experience with transitioning has brought a unique, needed and welcome understanding of her patients' experiences and struggles. Additionally, her military experience starting with her graduating West Point, her time as an active duty Combat Heavy Engineer through her retirement from the New Jersey National Guard (1999) allows for an empathy many patients have not been able to find elsewhere.
While working as a Family Practice physician and acting as a consultant in transgender medicine, Dr. O'Connor learned of the great need for well educated and compassionate physicians to treat the LGBTQ community, their families, and friends. This observation ultimately led to the creation of Healthy Transitions, LLC. in March of 2006.
In June 2018, Dr. O'Connor retired from clinical practice. We recognize and celebrate the impact of her legacy on healthy and happy transgender and nonbinary people across the lifespan
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering The United States Military Academy at West Point.
- MD at the University of Medicine and Dentistry at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (UMDNJ-RWJMS).
- 3 years residency with Overlook Family Medicine Residency Program
- In 1994 she became Board Certified as a Family Physician.
- Dr. O'Connor is also a certified Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (a form of cognitive behavioral therapy).
- Dr. O'Connor is a voting member of The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- A Diplomat with the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- The Academy for Professional Speakers
- Dr. O'Connor served five + years active duty with the U.S. Army as an Combat Heavy Engineer, before attaining her medical degrees
- For ten years, Dr. O'Connor worked at UMDNJ as a Family Physician and Clinical Instructor/Assistant Professor before becoming the Medical Director of the Physician Assistant Program
- For two years, she served as the medical consultant for a well-known psychotherapist whose practice focused solely on the care of transgender clients.
- Dr. O'Connor has acted as a training specialist for a multitude of therapists, endocrinologists,
psychiatrists and many other medical and psychiatric specialists on the subject of gender and hormone treatment.