Lisa O'Connor, M.D.
Dr. O'Connor is one of the foremost experts in the field of gender variant counseling and medical care. Healthy Transitions is a singular practice in which one doctor oversees both the mental and physical well being of patients. Her practice consistently works towards the goal of cohesive and whole health which for each patient. We believe this can only be achieved through the care and appreciation of each patients' individual needs.
When Dr. O'Connor transitioned in 2005 , she found a significant lack of medical and psychological support available. She has not only worked towards giving that needed support through the opening of her own practice but also through consistent education everywhere from middle schools to medical schools. She regularly speaks with health care providers and government agencies to further efforts towards education and acceptance.
Dr. O'Connor's personal and open experience with transitioning brings a unique, needed and welcome understanding of her patients' experiences and struggles. Additionally her military experience, starting with her graduating West Point, her time as an active duty Combat Heavy Engineer through her retirement from the New Jersey National Guard (1999) allows for an empathy many patients have not been able to find elsewhere.
While working as a Family Practice physician and acting as a consultant Dr. O'Connor learned of the great need for well educated and compassionate physicians to treat the LGBTIQ community, their families, friends, and colleagues. This observation ultimately led to the creation of Healthy Transitions, LLC. in March of 2006.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering The United States Military Academy at West Point.
- MD at the University of Medicine and Dentistry at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (UMDNJ-RWJMS).
- 3 years residency with Overlook Family Medicine Residency Program
- In 1994 she became Board Certified as a Family Physician.
- Dr. O'Connor is also a certified Master Practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (a form of cognitive behavioral therapy).
- Dr. O'Connor is a voting member of The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- Member of the American Medical Association (AMA)
- Member of the World Association for Sexual Health
On the Board of Directors of the Alliance for Gender Awareness (AGA)
A Diplomat with the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- On the Board of Directors of Green Care Centers of Summit, NJ
- Dr. O'Connor served five years active duty with the U.S. Army as an engineer, before attaining her medical degrees
- For ten years, Dr. O'Connor worked at UMDNJ as a Family Physician
- For two years, she served as the medical consultant for a well-known psychotherapist whose practice focused solely on the care of transgender clients.
- Dr. O'Connor has acted as a training specialist for a multitude of therapists, Endocrinologists,
Psychiatrists and many other medical and psychiatric specialists on the subject of gender and hormone treatment.
Dr. O'Connor is also a member of the following organizations:
- The Academy for Professional Speakers
- The NJ Lesbian and Gay Coalition
- The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)