For Patients & Families
We know how difficult it can be to find information that is pertinent and reliable. This page is our small attempt at making that effort a little bit easier.
Below you will find a long list of links and resources we have come across and that have been passed along to us.
Please use the links we provide freely and if you have something that has shed light for you, we welcome any reciprocal contributions.
What are you looking for?
- National Coalition for Sexual Freedom - Engages in national advocacy on issues related to sexual identity, expression and orientation.
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health - The mission of the Center of Excellence for Transgender Health is to increase access to comprehensive, effective and affirming health care services for trans and gender-variant communities.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) - A professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender identity disorders.
- Kink Aware Professionals (KAP) - A privately funded, non-profit service dedicated to providing resources for people who are seeking psychotherapeutic, medical, and legal professionals who are informed about the diversity of consensual, adult sexuality:
- Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians & Gays (PFLAG) - "We, the parents, families and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, celebrate diversity and envision a society that embraces everyone, including those of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities. Only with respect, dignity and equality for all will we reach our full potential as human beings, individually and collectively. PFLAG welcomes the participation and support of all who share in, and hope to realize this vision."
- Gay Activist Alliance of Morris County, NJ (GAAMC) - GAAMC is a not-for-profit volunteer-run organization that provides social, educational and outreach programs.
- Garden State Equality
- Cross Dressers International (CDI)
Parents & Youth
- PFLAG - PFLAG has more than 500 chapters that are located in all 50 states. Get the personalized support that you need from people who understand what you're experiencing. By clicking on a state name below, you can find a list with contact information for the chapters in that state.
- TYFA - Empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected.
- TYEF: The Trans Youth Equality Foundation is a national 501c3 non-profit foundation that advocates for transgender youth age 2-18. TYEF provides education, advocacy and support for transgender youth and their families.
- TransKids Purple Rainbow Foundation - An organization dedicated to funding research and education about transgender issues to build a brighter future for all TransKids. Our children aren't pink or blue - but rather - various shades of purple.
- COLAGE - A national movement of children, youth, and adults with one or more lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/or queer (LGBTQ) parents. We build community and work toward social justice through youth empowerment, leadership development, education, and advocacy.
- Families In TRANSition - A resource guide for parents of trans youth. It is the first comprehensive Canadian publication to address the needs of parents and families supporting their trans children.
- Youth Treatment Protocol - Center of Excellence for Transgender Health increases access to comprehensive. effective and affirming health care services for trans and gender-variant communities.
- Clinical Management of GID in Adolescents
- Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit - This 79-page manual from Advocates for Youth can be downloaded free.It includes excellent sections specifically on supporting youth of color and trans youth and 12 lesson plans for any youth program or 8-12 classroom.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth Issues - a fact sheet from the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.
- Respecting the Rights of GLBTQ Youth, A Responsibility of Youth-Serving Professionals - From Advocates for Youth's journal Transitions (Vol. 14 June 2002)
- Talk About Sex - provides young people with basic information about a range of sexuality topics as well as referrals to reputable websites for more information. Includes "chapters" entitled: What is Sexuality; Sexual Rights; Basic Biology; Staying Healthy; Gender Identity; Sexual Orientation; Relationships; Communication Skills; Choosing What to Do; Sexual Behavior; Sexual Response; Sexual Abuse; Birth Control; STD's/HIV; and Find Out More.
Licensed mental health providers/THERAPISTS
- Institute For Personal Growth (IPG) - HIghland Park, Jersey City and Freehold, NJ & NYC
1 (866) 957-1790
- Russell Healy, MSW, LCSW - Somerville & Lawrenceville, NJ (973) 349-1179
- Dr. Stephanie Sasso (Psychologist) - Highland Park
- Michele Angelo, PhD - Wayne, PA
- Jennifer Whitlock, Licensed Professional Counselor - Newton & Montclair, NJ 973-222-3750
Physical and Mental Health
- Getting Trans-Competent Care
- HIV/AIDS and the TG Community
- Basic Tips for Health Care and Social Service Providers Working with TG People
- A Provider’s Introduction to Substance Abuse Treatment in the LGBT Community
- Care of the Patient Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS)
- Practical Reference on Mental Health
- Suicide Facts
- Cyproterone Acetate (11 April 2006)
Plastic Surgeons and Alternative Augmentation
- Curtis Crane, M.D. - San Francisco, CA
- Mark L. Zukowski, MD, FACS - Wilmette, Illinois
- Beverly Fischer, M.D. - Timonium, MD
- Jeffrey Spiegel, MD, FACS - Boston, MA
- New York
- Rachel Bluebond-Langner, MD - New York NY
- New Jersey
- John M. Taylor, MD, FACS, FICS - Red Bank, NJ
- Daniel Medalie, M.D. - Beachwood, OH
- Cori Agarwal, M.D. - Salt Lake City, UT
- John Zinsser, M.D. - Richmond, VA
- John Zinsser, M.D. - Richmond, VA
The following list is a collection of surgeons who perform Gender Reassignment (GRS) - also known as Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS), Gender Confirming Surgery, Gender Reaffirming Surgery or Sex Change Surgery, to name a few. This list is not intended to serve as an endorsement of the work of any of the included surgeons. Use this as a starting place for your personal research. We recommend consulting with at least 3 different surgeons:
- Dr.Marci Bowers - Trinidad, CO & Seattle, WA
- Dr. Gary Altar - Beverly Hills, CA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Toby Meltzer - Scottsdale, AZ , Greenbaum Surgery Center, Scottsdale, Arizona;
- Christine McGinn - New Hope, Pennsylvania
- Tuan Nguyen - Portland, Oregon
- Email: email@example.com
- Harold Reed - The Reed Center, Miami, Florida
- Email: Info@srsmiami.com
- Dr. Charles Garramone - Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Institute - Sunrise, FL
- Phone: 954-752-7842
- Dr. Rachel Bluebond-Langner - NYU Medical Center, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-263-3030
- Sanguan Kunaporn - Phuket International Hospital, Phuket, Thailand
- Preecha Tiewtranon - Bangkok Nursing Home Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chettawut Tulayaphanich - Vibhavadi II Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
- Email: email@example.com
- Suporn Watanyusakul - Aikchol Hospital, Chonburi, Thailand
The Premier Transgender Surgery Institute - Delhi, India